ONE PERSON'S QUEST TO RESURRECT SNAIL MAIL!

P O S T C A R D S F R O M D A K: A TRAVELOG OF MY MIND'S MISSIVES AND GRIPES

I have been creating my own postcards for months but decided to begin sharing them in this blog. Most are created with visual scraps found in snail mail for snail mail: There are few preprinted, diecut, acid-free, or otherwise prettified scrapbook paper--just whatever magazines or newspapers are deliverd to my door. Please note that most postcards are in the form of missives (thougtful messages) or gripes ( reflections on various issues). These postcards travel not just through real time and space, but over time will reflect the travels my mind will be taking. I hope you enjoy readindg my occaisional textual blogs and viewing my postcards as I add more each week!

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Smiles

Boy, it has been awhile since I have even looked at this blog and I have mailed off several that I never scanned.  However, I do have a few that were saved. 

Below is a common postcard I have sent to friends and family--this one went to a teacher friend of mine that lives locally.  Another I sent my sister and best friend, Denise who lives in Colorado. 

The last one is one that I mailed off today to my father who just turned 81 years old.  Unfortunately, since he remarried and chose to be more of a father to his wife's five children (all but one were adults at the time), I really have not had much of a relationship with him since the early 1980s.  The images are purely from memories of the the dad I knew as a child and teenager in the 1960s and 70s. The one I have had an acquaintance with since; however, is not a person I have known in more ways than one. Sad, but way too common with folks in similar situations.  How is that fathers (rarely mothers) can almost completely forget their own children and favor those that are not of their own blood or for whom they raised and supposedly loved since birth?  This man, who retired back in 1982 has three grandchildren, two of which he has only seen twice in their lives and my son that he has only visited about five times. I have never understood this...
















Some of Denise's Favorite Things


Side Two



Happy Birthday To My Father--Side One



Happy Birthday Dad -- Flip Side

No comments:

Post a Comment

Missive to Denise and Renee

Missive to Denise and Renee

Steph's Nine Cats

Steph's Nine Cats